SWATARA TOWNSHIP, Pa (WHTM) — A fire damaged an apartment building in Swatara Township on Sunday, April 10. According to Swatara Fire Chief Michael Ibberson, the fire was caused by an accidental fire that took place while a resident was cooking in the building.

According to the Swatara Fire 91 Facebook page, the fire was in the 700 block of Garden Drive and started around 9 a.m. It was called in as a first alarm apartment fire.

Chief Ibberson said when units arrived on the scene, there was heavy fire and smoke coming from the second and third floors of the building. The building sustained heavy damage and all 12 units were affected. None of the units are in liveable condition.

Get daily news, weather, breaking news, and sports alerts straight to your inbox! Sign up for the abc27 newsletters here. 

It took 40 minutes to get the fire under control. According to a release from The American Red Cross, 48 people have been displaced. The American Red Cross and Swatara Township EMA are helping take care of those people who were displaced.

All affected residents were transported to the Chambers Hill Fire Department at 6400 Chambers Hill Road in Harrisburg.

No one was injured in the fire.

The fire is currently being investigated by the Dauphin County Fire Investigation Team, according to Chief Ibberson.

This is a developing story. Stay up to date on the latest from abc27 News on-air and on the go with the free abc27 Mobile app.