Lower Paxton 30-hour standoff comes to an end; press conference recapping events followed


DAUPHIN COUNTY, Pa. (WHTM) — The standoff in Lower Paxton Township has come to an end as the suspect is now in custody. Police say both hostages were found safe. The standoff lasted more than 30 hours after starting on Monday around noon.

A day after the conclusion, Lower Paxton Township Public Safety Director Adam Kosheba and District Attorney Fran Chardo are expected to host a press conference at 3 p.m. recapping the standoff.

Law enforcement teams spent hours trying to get 36-year-old Derrick Hutcherson out of the apartment. Police even turning off the power for a few hours hoping the heat would pressure a surrender.

When Hutcherson would not come out, police were forced to use their last measure. “After that many hours we basically spent all of our options, they were gone and we got to the point where we had to do a dynamic hostage rescue with the Pa. State Police CERT Team,” Lower Pacton Police Department Director of Public Safety, Adam Kosheba said.

Those crews rushed inside, getting both hostages out safely and arresting Hutcherson. Not one officer fired their gun during the rescue and they say this peaceful resolution was the best possible. “This was extraordinary patience that resulted in a peaceful conclusion to this horrible incident,” Dauphin County District Attorney, Fran Chardo said.

The standoff started just before noon on Monday, Dauphin County Communications Center received several 911 calls reporting the sound of gunfire from the area surrounding the 5300 block of Manayunk Road in Lower Paxton Township in Dauphin County.

According to Lower Paxton Township Police Deputy Chief Justin DePasqua, a child along with an elderly woman were being held hostage by a gunman.

When officers arrived at the scene they found a 25-year-old woman, conscious with a gunshot wound to the head above her left eye.

According to police reports, the victim told authorities she was shot by Hutcherson.

Police told abc27 News Daybreak the woman has undergone surgery and is in stable condition.

Back in the apartment where the shooting happened, Hutcherson, who police say is the woman’s boyfriend, barricaded himself inside with his two-year-old child and the woman’s grandmother.

Reports also indicate that police had been called to the residence earlier that day, which reportedly upset Hutcherson.

As of 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday, June 29, the suspect fired multiple shots at the CRT officers from inside the apartment in the afternoon and in the evening. Negotiations continue despite the violence directed at the responders.

Police say Hutcherson is facing charges of attempted murder and child endangerment with more charges expected after evidence is gathered and examined.

This is a developing story. Stay up to date on the Latest from abc27 News on-air and online.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss