Carlisle police: Careless smoking caused apartment building fire

Carlisle/West Shore

A carelessly discarded cigarette started an accidental fire that displaced seven people from a Carlisle apartment building early Monday.

Police said the cigarette was tossed into an area of mulch and shrubbery behind 26 and 28 Carter Place.

The resulting fire spread to the roof of the building and caused fire, smoke, and/or water damage to five apartments.

The total damage is estimated to be at least $400,000.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos

Don't Miss