Man arrested after firing 40-50 shots in New Cumberland

Carlisle/West Shore

NEW CUMBERLAND, Pa. (WHTM) – A New Cumberland man fired a gun at a woman, a neighbor’s home where she fled, and at responding police officers, setting off a seven-hour standoff before his arrest Thursday morning, according to charging documents.

Mark Thomas Ward Boisey, 31, is charged with felony aggravated assault and other crimes related to the incident at his home in the 500 block of Terrace Drive. He is in Cumberland County Prison without bail.

The woman who lived in the home with Boisey told police that she had just ended their relationship. She said she locked a hallway door and went to bed but was awakened when Boisey kicked down the door.

She told police that Boisey pulled her out of bed by her hair and shot off a round from a handgun. She said Boisey then struck her face with the gun, punched her ribs, back and head while she was on the floor, strangled her, and put the gun muzzle to her head, according to the criminal complaint.

Mark Thomas Ward Boisey

The woman said she stuck Boisey in the face and was able to grab the gun and run out of the house. She said she threw the handgun when she was outside and then ran to the neighbor’s house. Boisey then fired several shots at the neighboring home.

The neighbor told police that several rounds were fired into the home as they called 911. He said he stepped on a bullet that had landed on the floor.

New Cumberland police officers arrived around 12:30 a.m. and were speaking to the woman when Boisey fired additional rounds toward the neighbor’s home. The officers had the woman and neighbor take cover and then exited the home, the complaint states.

Boisey fired multiple rounds at the two New Cumberland officers and three Lower Allen Township officers that were arriving at the scene, police said.

He was ordered to drop the gun and show his hands but broke out several windows and fired more rounds as additional officers responded to the scene, police said.

Authorities said 40 to 50 shots were heard coming from Boisey’s home during the incident.

“I heard the bang,” said Albert Maksel, who watched the chaos from his home across the street. “They had like 20 swat team members.”

“I can’t imagine what those officers thought when they arrived on the scene,” said John Bruetsch, a Cumberland County spokesman. “They have a dangerous job as it is….to pull up to the scene and get out of your car and all of a sudden, there’s a barrage of 40-50 gun shots.”

Police were able to enter the home and took Boisey into custody at around 7:30 a.m.

Multiple neighbors say the couldn’t get to work because of all of the roads blocked off. Some school buses and students were impacted too.

“They had all the streets blocked off,” said Maksel. “Even down on Simpson and Ferry, they had that blocked off… It was too dangerous.”

ABC27 has reached out to police and is waiting to hear exactly how the standoff was ended. Authorities say at one point, they used two rounds of flash bangs, which is a tactic to get suspects out of barricaded areas.

Boisey is charged with 60 criminal counts, 28 felonies, including 24 counts of aggravated assault. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 27.

Get breaking news, weather, and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss