Crews battled apartment fire in Harrisburg

Harrisburg

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — About 4o firefighters from multiple departments were called to the Towne House Apartments on Boas Street in Harrisburg Tuesday morning.

Dispatchers say the call came in just before 4 a.m.

Crews found smoke on the 15th floor of the apartments.

Firefighters say it was caused by a cigarette that wasn’t properly discarded on the balcony, and that while there were flames, they didn’t actually enter the building. 

Residents waited outside. Many wore masks and tried to practice social distancing. 

There were no injuries. People have since returned to their apartments.

“The good part about our high rises here in the city is they’re all sprinklered, so there is a measure of safety in that, and then also part of their fire alarm systems, their elevators automatically recall, so that people don’t get stuck in the elevators,” said Harrisburg Bureau of Fire Deputy Chief Glenn Sattizahn.

Harrisburg Bureau of Fire estimates a couple thousand dollars in damage. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos

More Local

Don't Miss