Editor’s Note: The headline has been updated to reflect the up-to-date information.

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — An ongoing investigation looks into an early Sunday morning rescue from the Susquehanna River near the Dock Street Dam area.

Around 3:30 a.m., two city workers saw a car floating in the river. At this time, they called the police, according to Fran Chardo, district attorney of Dauphin County.

Police officers reported to the scene and, upon arrival, found a vehicle in the river. Harrisburg Police have confirmed with abc27 news that Miquel Maldanodo Jr., a woman, and a two-year-old child were all inside the vehicle.

Get daily news, weather, breaking news, and sports alerts straight to your inbox! Sign up for the abc27 newsletters here. 

The three individuals moved to the top of the vehicle, and at this time, according to Chardo, Maldanodo began to scream, “Shoot me. Shoot me,” to the police officers with a four to six-inch knife in his hand. Police attempted to deescalate the situation verbally.

Maldanodo Jr. then turned the knife, threatening the woman. It was at this time the police shot four rounds at the man. According to Chardo, the police are unsure if he was hit, but he slid from the car into the river. Moments later, Harrisburg Fire began to mount an incredibly dangerous rescue.

“There was a vehicle in water, a vehicle in icy water at night was ice flowing with an unusually high Susquehanna River. It was quite windy and the weather was between five and ten degrees. We could not have put more cards against us,” Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline said.

A rescue by boat was out of the question, and the car was wedged against some rocks. Chief Enterline says crews had to use the tower truck.

“We were able to drive that down on river walk and set that tower truck and perform a rescue just like it was on the fifth floor of a building in the city,” Chief Enterline said.

From start to finish, Chief Enterline says it took about 20 minutes to bring mother and child to safety.

“From a river rescue standpoint, it is probably one of the most unique top five that we delt within the last 20 years. Every second of that entire incident until those two people were in the bucket of our tower truck,” Chief Enterline said.

The woman and child were then taken to Penn State Hershey Medical Center for treatment. Both are expected to be okay.

The circumstances of how the car ended up in the river are both unknown as of Monday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. However, Chardo has confirmed with abc27 that it was not a police chase that led to the incident.

Chief Enterline says search efforts for Miquel Maldanodo Jr. have been discontinued because of the dangerous conditions of the river, including moving ice.

11:00 p.m. coverage:

6:00 p.m. coverage:

8:00 a.m. coverage:

This is a developing story, check back for updates as abc27 confirms up-to-date details. Stay up to date on the latest from abc27 News on-air and on the go with the free abc27 Mobile app.