Court upholds double-life term in killings of disabled brothers

Lancaster
cristo_munoz_1523475322745.jpg

LANCASTER, Pa. (WHTM) – A state appeals court has denied a new sentence for a Lancaster man serving consecutive life terms for torturing and killing two disabled brothers in their city home.

Juan Cristo-Munoz Jr., 20, pleaded guilty last year to two counts of first-degree murder and related charges in the February 2017 deaths of 61-year-old Leroy Kinsey and 62-year-old Richard Walton. He faced a possible death penalty if the case had gone to trial.

In his appeal, Cristo-Munoz said he wasn’t given a chance to speak at his sentencing hearing or testify against his co-defendant, Joshua Proper. Cristo-Munoz further argued that the prosecution’s case was inaccurate and based upon a “corrupt source,” that an assistant district attorney insulted him by calling him a monster, and that he was subjected to torture and malnourishment at Lancaster County Prison.

Superior Court on Tuesday denied the claims and called the appeal “wholly frivolous.”

Prosecutors said Cristo-Munoz and Proper broke into the brothers’ home in the 600 block of Poplar Street to steal money. Kinsey was stabbed at least 10 times when the pair encountered him in the living room, and Cristo-Munoz used a sword to kill Walton, who was stabbed 54 times in an upstairs bedroom.

A caretaker who lived in the home escaped and called 911 after hearing suspicious noises. Police found Cristo-Munoz and Proper hiding in the basement.

Proper also pleaded guilty and is serving a life sentence.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss