The state Department of Environmental Protection has suspended the blasting permit of a contractor that had 704 pounds of dynamite stolen from its pipeline worksite in Lancaster County.
A DEP spokesman said the department is assisting the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with an investigation, and will pursue appropriate enforcement actions against the contractor if it’s determined the company did not meet permit requirements on the storage of explosives.
The spokesman said all blasting authorized by the permit has stopped.
The ATF says the dynamite and 400 blasting caps from were stolen from a locked truck trailer at the Gregory General Contracting Company site near Marietta. The company is a subcontractor of Williams Partners, which is managing the Atlantic Sunrise pipeline project.
The explosives were stolen sometime after workers left the site last Friday. The worksite security company discovered the theft on Monday, after noticing the trailer door was ajar and the locks were missing.
ATF special agent Don Robinson has said there are strict federal regulations stating explosives must be kept in magazines made for storing explosives.
“Just reading our regulations on explosive storage, it becomes apparent there were some issues there,” Robinson told ABC27 News earlier this week.
The ATF is offering a reward of up to $20,000 for information that leads to the recovery of the stolen explosives and/or the arrest and conviction of those responsible.
Anyone with information should call the ATF hotline at 1-888-ATF-BOMB (1-888-283-2662).