LANCASTER, Pa. (WHTM) — On Saturday morning a heavy fire on Beaver Street in Lancaster claimed the life of 33-year-old, Luis Diaz-Ortiz, in a rowhome, according to authorities.
Investigators say the fire originated in the first-floor kitchen area where electric extension cords and a power strip were found. The Lancaster City Bureau of Fire determined the fire to be accidental.
Fire loss to the structure and contents is estimated to be at least $75,000.
The American Red Cross is now assisting two adults and one child who were displaced by the fire.
Lancaster City Bureau of Fire reminds you to:
- Install smoke alarms on every floor and in every bedroom
- Change the batteries in all alarms twice a year with daylight savings time unless your alarm is equipped with a 10-year lithium battery.
- Ensure every person in your home understands and practices your home fire escape plan twice a year.
Experts also say the improper use of a power strip can cause safety issues, such as creating a potential electrical failure and/or a possible fire hazard. A common example of using power strips unsafely is when they are “daisy-chained” together.
If you do not have a working smoke alarm, Lancaster City Bureau of Fire can provide smoke detectors and installation free of charge to qualified homeowners in the City of Lancaster. For more information on the smoke detector program, please contact the Fire Marshal Division at 717-291-4869.
- Biden fills out State Department team with Obama veterans
- Trump trial pending, McConnell calls it ‘vote of conscience’
- Jailed kids-for-cash judge loses bid for pandemic release
- Airbnb monitoring Harrisburg reservations, in contact with Wolf’s team
- Crash under investigation after car rolls over in Warwick Township