ALLENTOWN, Pa. (WHTM) — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is temporarily restricting certain vehicles on Interstate 78 in the east-central region of Pennsylvania beginning Sunday at 7 a.m.
The restriction reflects Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan and affects Interstate 78 eastbound and westbound in Berks, Lehigh and Northampton counties.
Under Tier 1 restrictions, Tractors without trailers, Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, Passenger vehicles towing trailers, School buses, motorcycles, and others are not permitted on affected roadways.
All vehicles will be restricted to 45 mph on the following roadways while restrictions are in place:
- Interstate 78 in Berks, Lehigh and Northampton counties
- Interstate 80 in Carbon and Monroe counties
- Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County
- Interstate 176 in Berks County
- Interstate 380 in Monroe County
- US 22 in Lehigh and Northampton counties
- US 222 in Berks County
- US 422 in Berks County
- PA 33 in Monroe and Northampton counties
- PA 309 from Interstate 78 to the Bucks County line in Lehigh County
Commercial vehicles not affected by the restriction must move to the right lane.
Additional speed and vehicle restrictions on this and other interstates could be added depending on changing conditions.