More than 30 people were evacuated from an apartment building in Glen Rock after the roof partially collapsed early Friday.
Officials said the weight of recent rain may have caused the collapse in the 100 block of School Street just before 4 a.m.
Shelly Brown says it sounded like an earthquake.
“Everything started caving in,” she said. “The bedrooms started caving in. The refrigerator was floating. There was water everywhere. The refrigerator was floating out of the kitchen, which didn’t look like the kitchen anymore.”
No one was injured.
The building has been deemed unsafe. Residents were taken to a community center run by several area churches. The Red Cross said it was providing assistance to 22 adults and 11 children.
“The building is really unstable at this point,” Glen Rock Fire Chief Ronald McCullough said. “We don’t want anybody around it. We want everybody to stay away from the building in case it does collapse that nobody gets hurt.”
Brown says her complaints about a leaky roof were not addressed by Southern Management. The company did not return calls for comment.
“We called probably at least five times and said the roof is leaking, the panels are caving in now, and we can see mold,” Brown said.
The collapse comes at a really bad time for Brown. She has lupus, he boyfriend has cancer, and her two children are autistic. Her family lost everything, including two cats.
“We paid rent, and this needs to be made right,” she said. “We’re a whole family full of people that need to be in a home.”