Careless smoking caused fatal fire, official says


YORK, Pa. (WHTM) – A fatal fire in West Manchester Township last week was accidental and caused by careless smoking, officials said Tuesday.

Linda Aponte, 73, was unable to escape the fire Wednesday in the 2200 block of West Philadelphia Street.

Firefighters were called to the home around 12:28 p.m. and could not rescue Aponte due to heavy fire in the front of the home.

It took nearly an hour to bring the flames under control. Aponte was found on her living room floor after the fire was extinguished.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos

Don't Miss