(NEXSTAR) – U.S. Capitol Police officer Howard Liebengood died Saturday while off-duty of unknown causes, the department announced Sunday. He was 51.
Liebengood was assigned to the Senate Division and had been with the department since 2005.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues,” the press release said.
On Twitter Sunday, CBS News Chief Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes said Former Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer told the news organization that Liebengood’s death was a “line of duty casualty.”
The office of the U.S. Capitol Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Gainer’s reported statement.
- Very cold air in place today and tonight, still watching the weekend closely
- Mommy Minute: Can you catch a cold if you don’t wear a coat; busting winter illness myths
- Harrisburg native Micah Parsons named PFWA Rookie Of The Year
- ‘You don’t need to know them personally:’ Diner helping firefighter injured in deadly blaze
- Midstate trauma surgeon wants to help lower violent crime in Harrisburg