WASHINGTON D.C. (WHTM) — Following yesterday’s violence at the U.S. Capitol Senator Bob Casey (D-Pa) released a statement calling on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove President Trump.
Yesterday, domestic terrorists, inspired, encouraged and emboldened by President Donald Trump, attacked the U.S. Capitol Building in furtherance of an attempted coup.
While shocking, yesterday’s events were entirely foreseeable. They were the direct result of President Trump’s lies about the integrity of our most recent election, and his frequent incitements to violence. For weeks, the President has lied about his decisive defeat, promoting wild conspiracy theories about unsubstantiated fraud and encouraging this insurrection. But he didn’t do it alone. President Trump was aided and abetted every step of the way by a multitude of Republicans in both the House and Senate who, after four years of enabling his authoritarian tendencies, yesterday sought to invalidate the will of the very people they serve. These members of Congress, along with President Trump, are responsible for this direct assault on our democracy and on our Nation’s Capitol Building. Their collective actions and words put lives at risk, and struck at the heart of our most fundamental democratic principles.
President Trump is a threat to our domestic and national security. It is self-evident that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. I call on Vice President Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and begin the process of removing the powers of the presidency from Donald Trump. This is the quickest way to protect our domestic and national security.US Senator Bob Casey
- Day-long phone outage, calls to 911 emergency centers restored in Midstate counties
- COVID-19 vaccine: Contracted security guards “slipping through the cracks”
- Pa. Nurse staffing crisis: Local nurses demand action for better funding, government support
- Tick-tock: Vaccine providers scramble to find takers for “bonus doses” before they expire
- Biden nominates Pa. native to co-chair Council of Advisors on Science and Technology