HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — With severe winter conditions expected to hit all parts of the Midstate on Sunday night, PennDOT listed travel and vehicle restrictions. As of 4:00 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 17, all speed and travel restrictions have been lifted.
Starting at 3 p.m. on Sunday, these roadways were in Tier 2 of PennDOT’s weather event vehicle restriction plan:
- All interstates south of I-80 not including I-80
- PA Turnpike I-76 (Mainline) from Ohio border to New Jersey border including all western exstensions
- PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476) from I-276 to I-80
- All of U.S. 22
- All of Route 33
At 7 p.m. the following roadways had Tier 2 vehicle restrictions:
- All interstates north of I-80 including I-80
- PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476) from I-80 to Clarks Summit
Get daily news, weather, breaking news and alerts straight to your inbox! Sign up for the abc27 newsletters here.
Also at 7 p.m., these roadways had Tier 3 vehicle restrictions:
- I-70 east of I-79
At 11 p.m. these roadways had Tier 3 vehicle restrictions:
- I-81 north of I-84
Speeds were reduced to 45 mph on the following roads:
- Interstates 78 in Berks, Lehigh, and Northampton counties;
- Interstate 80 in Carbon and Monroe counties;
- Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County;
- Interstate 176 in Berks County;
- Interstate 380 in Monroe County.
- U.S. 22 in Lehigh and Northampton counties;
- U.S. 209 in Carbon, Schuylkill and Monroe counties;
- U.S. 222 in Berks and Lehigh counties;
- U.S. 422 in Berks County;
- Route 33 in Monroe and Northampton counties.
On roadways with speed restrictions, commercial vehicles not affected by restrictions on these or other roadways must move to the right lane.
Tier 2 restrictions are as follows:
- Tractors without trailer
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers
- Tractors towing loaded tandem trailer unless there are chains or another approved Alternate Traction Device on board
- Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailer
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches
Under Tier 3 restrictions, no commercial vehicles are allowed on affected roadways EXCEPT loaded single trailers with chains or approved Alternate Traction Devices. All school buses, commercial buses, motor coaches, motorcycles, RVs/motorhomes, and passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers are also not allowed on affected roadways while Tier 3 restrictions are in place.