York hospital sued over open-heart surgery infection

News
possible_deadly_infection_350686

YORK, Pa. (WHTM) – The estate of a York man who died after a rare bacteria infection linked to open-heart surgery devices is suing WellSpan York Hospital.

The lawsuit claims the hospital was negligent in its maintenance and cleaning of heater-cooler devices and should have warned exposed patients of the infection risk earlier, according to attorney Tom Kline.

The lawsuit also names the device maker, LivaNova, claiming the device was defective and the company knew or should have known of the infection risk.

WellSpan York Hospital in October notified about 1,300 patients who had open-heart surgeries between October 2011 and July 2015 that they may have been exposed to nontuberculous mycobacterium (NTM) bacteria.

Kline said the lawsuit was filed on behalf of David Inners, who contracted the bacterial infection during open-heart and aortic valve surgery at York Hospital in December 2014. Inners died almost 11 months after the operation.

Four other York Hospital patients with NTM infections have died.Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download the ABC27 News App and the ABC27 Weather App for your phone and tablet.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Videos

Don't Miss