(WHTM) – The Pennsylvania U.S. Senate race between Dr. Mehmet Oz and Lt. Governor John Fetterman is a toss-up, according to the latest FiveThirtyEight 2022 election forecast model.
The model, which simulated the election 40,000 times, showed Fetterman with a 51% chance of winning the race to Oz’s 49%.
Oz’s chances of winning have dropped, according to the model, after he started with a 65% chance to win on June 1. The Republican’s chances of winning the race dropped to 53% on June 17 and on June 22 Fetterman led with a 53% chance of winning.
Get daily news, weather, breaking news and alerts straight to your inbox! Sign up for the abc27 newsletters here
The flip to Fetterman came after three polls released in mid-June showed him with a 4-9% lead despite recovering from a stroke suffered days before the Democratic primary on May 17.
The strongest Oz win in the model had the former television doctor winning with 61.5% while Fetterman’s biggest win was with 58.9%.
Eighty percent of model outcomes showed a Fetterman win of within 0.3% over Oz, which would trigger an automatic recount as voters learned in the Republican primary race.
FiveThirtyEight’s model showed the race for the control of the U.S. Senate is also a toss up with Republicans winning control 54% of the time.