HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — Governor Tom Wolf joined Pennsylvania state and local officials Friday morning to discuss Amtrak’s vision for increased and new service in Pennsylvania including upgrades to the Harrisburg line. Wolf and others held a Media Roundtable virtual event Friday at 11 a.m.
Get daily news, weather, breaking news and alerts straight to your inbox! Sign up for the abc27 newsletters here
Amtrak currently runs two commonwealth-supported routes in Pennsylvania, which are Keystone and Pennsylvanian. Now, Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor vision proposed three new services in Pennsylvania, which they estimate will transport 1.3 million rides annually by 2035 and contribute $200 million in annual economic impact.
Amtrak’s transformational vision seeks to expand passenger rail service alongside state partners adding 39 new routes, enhancing 25 existing routes and bringing service to 160 new communities.
The company has also stated its vision in reducing travel time to the Harrisburg – Philadelphia – New York line by increasing speeds up to 125 mph and expanding to 17 round trips.
“Amtrak’s plan for expansion will improve equity, accessibility, and reliability in transportation and that’s exactly what our commonwealth needs to continue growing and thriving,” Gov. Wolf said. “We need state-level transportation solutions to match this federal leadership so we can build and sustain this vision.”
The Pennsylvania specific proposal includes:
- New service between Reading – Philadelphia – New York (three daily round trips)
- New service between Scranton – New York (three daily round trips)
- New service between Allentown – New York (two daily round trips)
- Expand Keystone service between Harrisburg – Philadelphia – New York from 12 daily round trips to 17 daily round trips, and reduce trip times by increasing Harrisburg – Philadelphia speeds to 125 mph
- Expand Pennsylvanian service between Pittsburgh – Philadelphia – New York from one daily round trip to two daily round trips, with one round trip extended to Cleveland
“I am pleased to support this plan which would expand services to many more Pennsylvanians, strengthen local businesses, the regional economy, and the commonwealth as a whole,” Wolf said.
For more information on Amtrak’s Corridor Vision Plan, click here.
This is a developing story. Stay up to date on the latest from abc27 News on-air and on the go with the free abc27 Mobile app.