What We Do
Penn State Extension is a modern educational organization dedicated to delivering science-based information to people, businesses, and communities. We provide access to face-to-face and online education to our customers—when they want it, where they want it, and how they want it—to help them address problems and take advantage of opportunities for improvement and innovation. Partnering with and funded by federal, state, and county governments, we have a long tradition of bringing unbiased support and education to the citizens of Pennsylvania. We make a difference locally through focused engagement, and more widely to customers connecting in the digital landscape.
Who We Are
Extension program teams consist of a collection of educators, associates, and faculty that come together from various units when their expertise is needed. Since program team members live and work alongside you, they have a vested interest in ensuring our products and services better their communities. Our program teams also have unique partnerships with county and state governments, and facilitate collaboration with industry, non-government organizations, and others.
How do we decide where to focus? We ask you. Each program team participates in an ongoing program development process to determine our educational programming. This process includes gathering input from stakeholders and customers to ensure we are working to find timely, researched-based solutions in the areas you care about most, and around the issues you face daily.
Where To Find Us
Our education is available when and where you need it. Extension educators actively engage customers through in-person learning experiences, including workshops, conferences, on-site consultation, and more. Our digital experience provides on-demand access to articles, videos, and online courses. You can always find us working hard in your community. Click here for county extension office contact information.
As part of our Food Safety & Quality team in Lancaster County, Penn State Extension seeks to hire a part time Bilingual Instructor to teach in person ServSafe® classes in Spanish during the day. The goal of this position is to instruct and proctor ServSafe® classes in Spanish in Eastern Pennsylvania Counties (i.e., Lancaster, Lebanon, Berks, Lehigh, Delaware, Bucks, Chester, Philadelphia, Montgomery Counties) throughout the year. The purpose of this position is to reach the Latinx community and provide needed food safety instruction and increase ServSafe® exam passing rates. Additional responsibilities are to travel and collaborate with community partners to offer ServSafe® classes and exams. A plus would be to increase the translation of Food Safety Extension products into Kings Standard Spanish. This position will be remote but will report to a Lancaster County staff member.
- Work alongside Lancaster County Extension Educators and other Eastern PA Extension Educators to connect with Latinx organizations to recruit and train adults in ServSafe® in Spanish within the community.
- Assist in the development of Spanish translated Extension products in Kings Standard Spanish.
- Participate in Lancaster Extension Office meetings by Zoom as able.
- Manage day-to-day responsibilities associated with ServSafe® classes and exams.
- Report progress on ServSafe® class metrics for annual reporting.
- High school diploma required; Associate or Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Two years training and teaching experience with food safety.
- Familiarity with the Lancaster County community and surrounding counties.
- Community engagement experience within community organizations and agencies (paid or volunteer).
- Comfortable working with Spanish speaking individuals and groups, adults.
- Instruct, and teach as opportunities are presented in the community.
- Strong face-to-face and email communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Efficient with Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Fluency in Spanish is a must.
- Spanish translation in Kings Standard Spanish is a plus.
- Remote Position
- Professional Development Opportunities