Veolia’s mission is to resource the world, helping our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. This means improving our clients’ energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes.
Head office: 53 State Street 14th Floor, Boston, MA 02109
Manager, Communications and Community Relations in Harrisburg, PA at Veolia North America:
Veolia Group aims to be the benchmark company for ecological transformation. With nearly 230,000 employees worldwide, the Group designs and provides game-changing solutions that are both useful and practical for water, waste and energy management. Through its three complementary business activities, Veolia helps to develop access to resources, preserve available resources and replenish them. In 2021, the Veolia group provided 79 million inhabitants with drinking water and 61 million with sanitation, produced nearly 48 million megawatt hours and recovered 48 million tons of waste. Veolia Environnement (Paris Euronext: VIE) achieved consolidated revenue of 28,508 billion euros in 2021. www.veolia.com
The Manager, Communications and Community Relations is responsible for the consistent articulation of the Veolia mission through comprehensive internal and external communication and stakeholder programs for local utility operations in Pennsylvania. Works under the direction of the Vice President, Utility Communications and closely with local senior management to deliver communications that align with and support the Veolia brand and local goals. He/she is intimately familiar with water and/or wastewater operations and the industry, customer communications, employee engagement, media relations, community relations and stakeholder management.
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities:
The primary mission of the position is to support and promote a better understanding of Veolia — its water-related services, objectives, programs, and commitment to excellence — to the company’s internal and external stakeholders.
Under the direction of the Vice President, Utility Communications, the Manager, Communications and Community Relations develops strategic, comprehensive and professional communications and community programs that educate customers, employees and other stakeholders about company objectives and promote and celebrate the Veolia brand:
- Develops and implements communications and external stakeholder plans that align with both company and local goals.
- Develops wide array of communications, including strategic plans, customer communications, press releases, speeches/presentations, etc.
- Accountable for communications performance goals established by Corporate Communications.
- Manages local website, social media and digital networks, providing consistently fresh and relevant content.
- Manages and is accountable for local communications budget.
- Other activities as deemed appropriate.
Key Focus Areas:
- Develop communications that seek to increase satisfaction, brand perception and support a customer-focused organization.
- Satisfy customer preferences by applying an omni-channeled approach that includes a variety of digital and traditional communications channels.
- Create and execute communications programs for targeted stakeholder segments, including informational sessions, stakeholder dialogues and customer advisory groups.
- Collaborate with communications directors/managers across the company and contribute to the development of company-wide strategic communications plans and programs.
- Monitor, collect and analyze customer data, including the identification of trending / emerging issues, including but not limited to customer advisory panels, stakeholder dialogues, client research, social media, customer web behavior, focus groups, surveys and customer service centers. Incorporate learnings with the aim of creating customer focused solutions.
- Develop rich and meaningful internal communications that promote projects, champion change, foster employee pride, and inspire commitment to company goals.
- Celebrate employees and their contributions through various company platforms and activities (award programs, newsletters, social media, storytelling, participation in company activities, e.g.)
- Accountability for and oversight of the local company’s Corporate Social Responsibility programs, including Veolia’s signature environment, education and community assistance programs.
- Foster an inclusive external culture by building and maintaining relationships with local community NGOs and other influential stakeholders and incorporating their input where appropriate.
- Develop community programs that further educate stakeholders on company initiatives, the water industry and the Veolia brand.
- Manage local company’s charitable giving program and ensure alignment with corporate goals and policy.
- Develop compelling stories and generate leads that cultivate journalists’ interest in the Veolia brand. Convert pitches and meaningful conversations to earned placement.
- Develop social media and digital content that champions the brand and supports local business strategies and goals.
- Develop articles and pitch stories beyond local media reach to include industry and trade publications and national media where appropriate.
Other Key Stakeholders:
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with influential community and civic organizations and elected and municipal officials.
- Keep external stakeholders informed of company practices, business decisions, and programs which impact customers and the community. Build stakeholder loyalty and satisfaction by responding with urgency to requests and concerns.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of state and local current affairs issues. Be the lead contact between strategic external stakeholders and company operations.
- Act with expedience to develop and implement customer communications during emergencies. Command the use of multiple tactics and channels, accounting for customer preferences.
- Act as communications adviser for local leadership and foster communications best practice.
- Provide support for other business operations as may be needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, public relations or equivalent is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Work Experience Needed:
- Total work experience of 5+ years in communications and/or public relations. Working knowledge of the water services or utility industry, a strong plus. Sound communications experience and skills, including professional and creative writing, media relations, internal and external stakeholder communications, community relations, public speaking, etc. required.
Special Skills/Abilities Needed:
- Development of comprehensive communications external and internal programs that support local, national and global business objectives and initiatives.
- Exceptional writing and speaking skills with the ability to construct compelling stories that promote the company’s objectives, brand and its employees.
- Strong relationship-building skills with customers, employees, elected officials, regulators, journalists, and other key stakeholders.
- Thorough knowledge of traditional and digital communications and advertising, social media strategy and tactics, and visual and web content.
- Knowledge of communication technologies including web, social media e-mail, print, and graphics
- Demonstrated success in community event planning and promotion.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with and engage management and employees of all levels.
- Ability to deliver targeted results to specification at cost and on schedule.
- Good balance of technical/task and people/team leadership skills and orientation.
- Excellent negotiating, networking, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively manage external agencies and vendors.
- Must be available for weekend and evening activities, as needed.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
At Veolia North America we know the difference between a career with rewards, and a rewarding career. Every one of our employees plays a part in preserving natural resources and protecting the environment.
In addition to our competitive compensation, benefits and 401(k) match, we also invest in your career. Our tuition reimbursement program has helped hundreds of employees achieve advanced degrees and continue their education. Our various talent development programs help build your skills, and give you the opportunity to network with leadership and your peers across North America.
As a global organization, we can offer you the opportunity to learn from some of the world’s leading environmental experts and the chance to work internationally. Join our team to start your rewarding career today.