HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has placed restrictions on Midstate roadways due to the severity of the winter storm.
As of 1 a.m. on Thursday the following roadways will be placed under Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan:
- Interstate 83 in Cumberland, Dauphin and York counties
- I-283 in Dauphin County
- Interstate 81 from the PA Turnpike to I-84
- US 22 from I-81 to PA 75
Under Tier 1 restrictions, Tractors without trailers, Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, Passenger vehicles towing trailers, School buses, motorcycles, and others are not permitted on affected roadways.
The following roadways are placed under Tier 2 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan.
- Interstate 78 in Lebanon County
- Interstate 81 from the Pennsylvania-Maryland State Line in Franklin County, through Cumberland, Dauphin, and Lebanon counties
- Interstate 83 in York, Cumberland and Dauphin counties
Under Tier 2 restrictions all Tier 1 restrictions apply, plus tractors towing loaded tandem trailers without chains on board are prohibited from driving on affected roadways.
PennDOT urges motorists to avoid travel during the storm if possible, and if they do need to travel to remember to reduce speeds and be aware of changing weather conditions. They also suggest carrying emergency kits with non-perishable food and warm clothes in your vehicle.
For more winter driving tips and information on how PennDOT treats winter storms, visit www.PennDOT.gov/winter.